Friday, July 6, 2012

when bad cards happen to good people...

ugh.

I'm not even sure why I'm showing you all this card.  I think, for two reasons:

1.  I saw it through to the end, even though it went wrong all along the way
2.  In case anyone starts to think I'm too awesome (or in case I develop a bit of a bit head) this fugly card on my blog will serve as a reminder that not everything I make is beautiful...

With that in mind, here's my 2nd entry into the MIM #73: stamping on patterned paper:

My hubs actually liked this card, but I feel like I need to innumerate the ways in which this card doesn't work for me.

1. the panels are not all perfect lined up and I don't even know why the patterned papers were each matted onto their own pieces of white cardstock...
2. the stitching went horribly awry.  (Sofia and her bff apparently played with the dials on my machine during the day, so I'm blaming this one on them, hee hee)
3. I'm not quite sure about the mix of papers here, especially with the white embossing on the bottom and the creaminess of the top panel.

I started out by embossing happy birthday and the medallion images on the bottom panel, then stamped the butterflies on another panel.  (Just because you like them separately, doesn't mean you should be going and putting them together <--------- my take-away lesson.)

ps, we're taking Sofia in for a tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy today - even if it all goes smoothly (and I know it will), this will be a long day.  Any prayers for my biggest babe are so appreciated.

pps.  have you been checking out the CSS new releases?  I saw all of these images awhile ago, but my jaw still dropped when I saw some of the DT projects.  My stuff is up to bat next week :)

17 comments:

  1. I hate to say I'm glad to see this because I know how deflating it is to make a fugly card. :) But, it's good to know that even you make cards that you're not happy with. I don't think it's that bad but I do know exactly how you feel when a card turns out poorly. Good luck to Sofia today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. Perhaps it wasn't as you imagined it but sometimes things not straight or unexpectedly awry have their own charm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol..it's not that bad! Good luck to Sofia today. I'm sure she will do just fine:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're funny! And I don't think this is bad. But I know how frustrating it is when something you imagine one way turns out another. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're too cute!! Your card is beautiful!! I know how it is when something doesn't turn out the way you envision it. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts! Hopefully it will keep me from being so hard on myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, Elena, I love your write-up! It totally made me smile (& it was nice to know I wasn't the only one who struggled with a project this week!)
    I'll be praying for Sofia & your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, way too hard on yourself! I love the mix and match of patterns.
    Secondly, I get it, I made a card for an MFW challenge that I loved the day I made it then hated it the second I saw it the next day. I must have been high when I made it but I left up too. All part of the process!
    Good thoughts for Sofia! And you and the hubs of course!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahem, I love this card, sweetie, but thank you for sharing your thoughts about it. I love to learn from others about how they make their cards.

    And your sweet Sofia, my biggest tip is to keep her hydrated and medicated when she is due, even if she is not hurting. I take care of littles that have this procedure everyday. If you have any questions, just pm me. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! Elena, I totally understand your frustration with this card. It's really pretty, by the way! But when you've found all of those "faults" in your own work, it is hard to get over them and then share it with others. :-) I'm always posting cards that I'm not totally happy with, because I have found that sometimes those are the ones that other people LOVE (and it shows that I'm human, and gives others hope, sometimes, LOL!).

    I hope Sofia's operation goes well and that she recovers quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're CRAZY.

    That is all.






    Oh, and I really hope that Sofia is doing well!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Meredith! You are too hard on yourself, BUT I would totally be lying if I said I love everything I put up on my blog. Because I don't. And there are several posts that I would love to delete entirely, from years ago even, but I don't...it's kind of funny to think of those cards now.

    I love the card! Best of luck to Sofia!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are too funny. It is not your best card, but it is still better than 99% of the cards out there. Mainly, I wanted to send healing thoughts to your dear, sweet Sofia. I'm sure she will be up to her old tricks in no time. I hear ice cream is good...for her, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When the result isn't lining up with where i want to go artistically, I usually walk away. Good for you for finishing. And enumerating why you don't like it? Genius. And I don't know if your too hard on yourself so much as you raised the bar long ago... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it is very beautiful (and I think I have very good taste (-:) - and I think you will love it soon too(just put it away for a week or two -and when you take it out again you'll see what a beauty it really is!!!
    I know I'm a day late saying I'll be thinking of you and your daugther - but I hope it was as short and smooth day as a day like that can be.
    Hugs, Karin

    ReplyDelete
  15. i think this card is great. i smiled when i first saw it. don't be so hard on yourself.
    debbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like it. What does that say about my taste? :)

    ReplyDelete